Poole Town vs Hayes & Yeading



Poole Town F.C, are a semi-professional team who play in the National League South, the sixth tier of the English football league system. Established in 1880, the team has had erratic  success at their level; they have never risen above non-League levels but once reached the third round of the  FA Cup.




They played at Poole Stadium until 1994 and have since settled at Tatnam Farm, sharing the school playing  field with Oakdale Junior School. Poole’s other football teams are Hamworthy United, who formed in 1970 and also play in the Wessex Premier League, and amateur team Poole Borough F.C. who play in the Dorset Premier League.  Poole is one of the largest towns in England without a professional football team.

In 2009 Poole Town FC’s application to build a new stadium at Branksome Rec was refused, despite having been recommended for approval.

Stephen Thorne, head of planning and regeneration services at the council, said: “Members of the planning committee considered the application for Poole Town Football Club and in weighing up all the issues concluded that this was an exceptional application for a number of reasons.

“Members also made it clear that the remainder of the land should be safeguarded for future employment use in accordance with the council’s core strategy.”

In 2011, plans to build a new football stadium in Poole in Dorset were approved by councillors. The club wanted to use land west of Bearwood, off Magna Road in Canford Magna, to develop a new football ground. The application was approved despite being recommended for refusal by planning officers. It would include two playing pitches, a 150-seater stand and pavilion, flood lighting and a 156-space car park. Members of the Borough of Poole planning committee voted unanimously to grant the club’s application, subject to conditions, at a meeting at the Hamworthy Club earlier.

Then in 2013, Eddie Mitchell, having sold his shares at AFC Bournemouth, got involved.

ptfc stad plans.jpg.gallery
Eddie Mitchell’s vision for new Poole Town football stadium

Mitchell told the Daily Echo: “The plans are for a stadium which would enable us to get as far as Conference level or even the lower divisions of the Football League. It would be one that could be put anywhere, so to speak, and it is affordable. But, ideally, it would suit a location like Tatnam which is pretty central to Poole and where people can park and walk or get the train and walk.

“Poole’s problem is finding a home for it and that is where I come in. It is going to be a difficult task, but unless we get it out there and get in amongst it, we are not going to find it. Ideally, it would be as close to Poole Stadium as possible.

So the club are now at Tatnam and I will make my first visit to it this evening for the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round replay between Poole and Hayes and Yeading. The game ended 1-1 on Saturday. Should Poole triumph tonight, the prize will be a home ‘glamour tie’ against football league outfit Oxford United.




I remember following Shots in the FA Cup first round at the Manor Ground in 1980, 22nd of November I have managed to ascertain, where our supporters club coach was greeted by a local 11-year-old giving the wanker sign. How times have changed! Oh hang on…

Hayes were down to 10 men after only 5 minutes when Keano Robinson brought down Harry Baker on the edge of the box. As last man a red card was the correct decision despite the howls of protest from Hayes players and fans. When the free kick finally came in it was blocked but Spetch launched back in and Brooks header brought an excellent finger tip save – although he was flagged off side.




After that Poole failed to take advantage of their additional man. In fact Hayes hit Poole on the break several times but Hassan Jalloh and Toby Little both fired wide of the target. It took Poole until the 33rd minute to get a shot on target – with Dickson firing straigth at Smith. A disappointing first half for Poole.




On 57 minutes Hayes looked to have scored from a cross which saw sub Roberts head fractionally wide. Chances started to fall at both ends. Carmichael’s cross saw Jackson blast over with a great chance. Hayes had a good header well saved by Cairney and a minute later Jalloh brought another good save from a long range effort. Poole finally made the breakthrough on 67 minutes when Carmichael’s cross found Cope who neatly flicked in the corner – ball in off the post.




With 4 minutes of extra time Poole tried to play the game out but gave away a late free kick. Hayes looked to have a shot goal bound but hit one of their own players. But Poole failed to clear and from the centre Clark found the bottom corner to send Hayes players & fans estatic. There was a bit of a melee after the final whistle but nothing more than a few handbags as tensions were high.


Poole were far from their best today and failed to take advantage of the extra man. For the second game in a row they have conceded in extra time. So many disappointments to today but they are still in the hat for first round proper of the FA Cup. They just need to raise their standard for Tuesday’s replay at the Black Gold Stadium.