Home Blanker: Aldershot Town 0-0 Barnet

After the Boxing Day postponement I was looking forward to a decent performance and possibly another three points against Barnet who are, like this division, somewhat Jekyll and Hyde.

Having been absent for the Stockport home win, I was perhaps too expectant of Craig Tanner who drifted in and out of the game and was eventually substituted.


I thought the crowd would be decent enough and so it was although I wondered why the visitors brought half their home gate here; must have been 200 or so of them.

This was our first goal-less draw at home this term and struck similarities with that balmy blank here against Barnet last season. Can’t remember when we last scored against them either.

First half was all a bit meandering with no real creativity but second half I thought we were much better, Bettamer holding things up well in the frontline and the attack focused down the left with Chislett and Powell prominent.

And oh, if only had Ethan taken the shot sooner, then we might have been talking about a win.


But what I noticed for the first time yesterday in the East Bank was that while the vibe was okay, the songs that usually get five rounds or longer, seemed to subside after one or two.

I started off the first “Come on the Shots” at two minutes to three and that was to last around five minutes but thereafter everything was a bit flat. I think this is an observation to note and an important point to make.

The East Bank can often be that twelfth man, particularly in the second half. We fans are not only noted for our volume but also the sheer number of songs in our playlist. Go to many other grounds and you’ll hear the same three or four over and over.


So I take pride in this and feel that our drummers were let down yesterday by singers not finishing things that had been started. The continuation and longevity of these chants add to the atmosphere and lift our team so I want to see a return to form on this aspect.

Scott and Elvis perform wonders home and away and while the drums are not everyone’s cup of tea, personally I like them and think that both lads deserve a special mention here for all their efforts.


Other results went our way yesterday and yes, we’re still treading water. You can be sure Eastleigh will prove a bigger test come Wednesday and… do we ever beat Eastleigh at home?

Then our attention switches to North Wales for what is potentially a six-pointer. A victory in the valleys would be awesome and apparently I’ll be there now too. Been there only once before, in the early eighties and not with Shots. It’s a proper football ground and one that just has to be ticked off the list.

Here’s the match report copy from our website. No idea if there’s one from the other side but in all honesty, I really don’t care what they have to say. I thought they were there for the taking and it’s just disappointing that we weren’t more at the races. Still, Lyons-Foster got a gig and we didn’t get smashed – who’s have thought it?!


Aldershot Town secured a valuable point at home to Barnet that sees them rise up to 19th place in the National League table.

Danny Searle made just one change to the side that beat Stockport County last week, with Kodi Lyons-Foster coming into replace the injured Alex Finney.

It was an even start to the match from both sides, with neither able to create any clear-cut opportunities in the opening 30 minutes.

The first half chance of the game came in the 8th minute when Barnet midfielder Jack Taylor found himself with space on the edge of the box but was unable to keep his effort from flying over the goal.

Aldershot’s first look at goal came in the 21st minute when captain Dean Rance tried his luck from the edge of the area but his effort didn’t worry Barnet goalkeeper Scott Loach, who watched it sail over the bar.

Ethan Chislett was next to try test Loach on the half hour mark but was unable to keep his curving effort on target.

The only big chance of the half came in the 39th minute, after a pinpoint perfect cross from Barnet defender Cheye Alexander found Simeon Akinola whose powerful header was brilliantly saved by Mitch Walker.


There was a short stoppage of play in the 42nd minute as Barnet’s Josh Walker was taken off injured and replaced by Ephron Mason-Clark.

The away side thought they had opened the scoring in the 50th minute when Akinola left footed effort was palmed by Walker straight into Lyons-Foster who was lucky to see the ball rebound out for the corner.

From the resulting corner, Barnet again thought they had scored the first goal of the game. Callum Reynolds rose highest to the ball but his headed effort went inches past the post.

The Shots had their first chance of the half in the 62nd minute when Ethan Chislett tried to chip the keeper but his shot went narrowly over the bar.

The home side were looking the more likely of the teams to get the winner as the game entered into the final quarter.


Despite the pressure they were unable to capitalise and create any clear-cut chances.

The Shots thought they may have won the match with the last kick of the game after some brilliant link up play between Chislett and Mohamed Bettamer set the youngster through on goal, but Loach was out quick off his line to deny the 21-year-old a last-minute winner.


East Bank? Handy! big-grin-smiley-emoticon

I thought the gate announced was two thousand one hundred and something but it’s not always easy to hear exactly. On BBC Football they’ve got it as 2405 which is quite pleasing if true.

Officially, the gate was announced:

79′ MATCH ATTENDANCE: 2107 (259 away fans)




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.